A fascination with, and regular discussion about the weather is considered by some a Canadian trademark, but let me tell you this can also be said about the people of Copenhagen (and perhaps all of Denmark, but I have yet to experience life in any other Danish cities, so I can’t comment on them). Basically every single co-worker I have met (and met as in had at least a 5 minute conversation with, not met as in part of the 20-minute whirlwind tour I wrote about last time) has proceeded to tell me that the last 12 days of beautiful, bright, warm sunshine I have been fortunate to experience is not typical of Copenhagen. Copenhagen has many beautiful parks that are popular with residents during good weather.
While walking to the library one day to use the internet after work, I noticed the following poster in a shop window.
Even with my very limited Danish, I knew that there was an opportunity for me to go kayaking. Saturday morning I proceeded to the specified park and sure enough, there were about a dozen kayaks on the grass just waiting to be paddled. I soon found myself in the narrowest kayak they had (after convincing the people that I didn’t speak or understand Danish, but yes I had kayaked quite a bit before). What freedom. From the pond area, I noticed a small waterway.
Having not been told not to go down it I proceeded to explore and within a few minutes reached Lyngby Lake. Just as I was finishing a quick tour of the lake and heading back to the pond area, I was informed (in Danish, initially) that we weren’t supposed to go as far as the lake.
After all the tough work involved in my leisurely little paddle, I just had to sit down in the grass and have some lunch. The small park was a hive of activity and I soon realized that a gymnastics group was setting up. I was entertained by a wonderful gymnastics/dance performance. These kids and teens were quite amazing.
Below is also a video of the gymnatics group (if it worked).
I then proceeded to the Open Air Museum which is similar in style to Burnaby Village Museum, but the buildings are much older. Most are from the 1600 and 1700s. It makes describing Irving House as an old house seem like a bit of a joke. Overall, a very busy, but enjoyable day.
1 comment:
Natasha, Copenhagen sounds and looks beautiful and it looks like you are having a great time!! The video of the gymnastics was really neat. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Take Care
Tracy
Post a Comment