Sunday, November 23

Crazy Hat Competition

Its been a while again since I last posted. I have been rather busy and haven’t had much time to write an entry. I have heard rumours of some of my faithful readers doubting whether I actually do any work. Let me assure you that every week I submit a timesheet with a full 40 hours of work. I just cram everything else into the evenings and weekends (which is why I don’t have much time to write new blog entries).

At work we have the Civil Cup which is a year long competition between the different teams (structural, traffic and transportation, geotechnical, etc.) within the civil department. There are various events throughout the year (pool competition, cake baking contest, etc) that can earn your team points. At the end of the year the points are tallied and the trophy is awarded to the winning team. Recently it was crazy hat day. Anyone who knows me well, will know how much I enjoy hat competitions.

Since I hadn’t brought any hats that could even remotely resemble a “crazy” hat. I decided I would just have to make one.

I got many compliments on my hat throughout the day, but unfortunately it did not win any prizes (or points for my team). It didn’t really fit in the competition categories: prettiest, biggest or uglyist. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the categories.

I don’t think I should say this too loudly or else Shawn will put me to work. I spent all day yesterday measuring, cutting and attaching gyproc. You are probably wondering how I managed to get involved in home renovations. Well it actually wasn’t renovations, b ut instead house construction. There is a Habitat for Humanity house being built nearby, and the rover crew I joined here, spent the day volunteering on-site.


Below are a couple of pictures from a very windy picnic and walk with some other Americans I have met here.


Afterwards we went to the beach.


I've got some dishes to wash and other jobs to do before bed, so I better go now so that I am fresh and ready for work tomorrow morning (even if some of you don't believe that I actually work)

No comments: