Kiwis consider heating their homes an unecessary luxtury. Except in a few rare homes (generally inhabited by Kiwis who have travelled) there is no central heating. Instead warmth is provided by electric heaters that are only turned on when it is absolutely frigid (aka you can see your breath indoors) or by wood fireplaces/heaters.
In addition to considering heating unecessary, kiwis also consider shoes unecessary. It is extremely common to see people walking down the street, in the grochery store or even playing soccer in bare feet.
The less is more attitude continues when it comes to bathrooms. Many older New Zealand homes only have one toilet. Kiwis don't think anything about sharing the single toilet between 3 or even 4 flatmates.
While most houses and flats have driers, Kiwis generally wouldn't even think about using the dryer unless it was a real emergency.
As for breakfast, it is typical Kiwi meal to have Spagetti on Toast. That is canned spagetti for breakfast on bread for those of you that thought I must have made a mistake the first time. A recent TV ad for spagetti even features this meal. When I was at the big Rover camp over Easter this was served for breakfast one day along with canned baked beans on toast. While I find the baked beans slightly more appetizing I thought the peanut butter and jam looked much more appitizing. The kiwis then proceeded to tell me that they thought putting jam with you peanut butter was strange (and very american) whil easting spagetti on toast!
While pumpkin is very common in soup and various other meals, most kiwis have never tried pumpkin pie. I am also assuming they don't eat lemon merangue pie since there is no lemon pudding to be found anywhere in the stores. Anglefood cake is relatively unknown. Graham wafers also don't exist, so having proper s'mores is impossible. I have, however, fallen in love with ginger kisses and vitawheat 9-grain crackers.
Lawn bowling is not just an activity for the grey haired segment of the population. Many young people go with a group once or twice a year for a bit of fun. I went a couple of weeks ago when the social committee at arranged competition between the different work groups (traffic and transport, structures, etc.). Lawn bowling balls are not symetrical. The are slightly oblong so that they curve when they are bowled.
Apparently kiwi fruit is in season. Last week the grochery store had X-Large kiwis on sale for 0.88 NZD/kg (0.28 CAD/pound). I picked up three massive kiwis for a total of 0.33 CAD. They are bigger than my apples!
No comments:
Post a Comment