Sunday, September 13

Snowboarding and kayaking and rollerblading, oh my!

As many different people have reminded me over the last few weeks, it has been ages since I last posted an update to my blog. I have been too busy snowboarding, kayaking, rollerblading and generally enjoying life to write an update. However, today is a beautiful sunny day, so I am currently sitting in the grass near the waterfront watching the rowers train and world go by as I write this entry on my laptop.

I have been asked a lot frequently, “When are you returning to Canada?” Or even, “Are you ever going to return to Canada?”. So, to save my parents, myself,and a few others from having to answer this question too many times, I figured I should answer it once and for all. My initial work visa was a 1 year visa (since I wasn’t planning to be in New Zealand any longer than a year) however not too long ago, I realised that my year was nearly up and I wasn’t ready to leave. I now have a new visa, which will permit me to remain in the country another 2.5 years. (Don’t panic mom and dad, I not planning to stay in NZ that long.) I haven’t specifically decided when I am returning to Canada; I’ll be back whenever the wind happens to blow me across the Pacific Ocean.

Kiwis are pretty crazy about skiing. Despite the only ski area on the North Island being located a 4 hour drive from both Wellington and Auckland many make regular pilgrimages to the mountain throughout the winter. Feeling that I shouldn’t miss out on this important cultural experience, I purchased a season’s pass and joined in. At one point, I had spent 4 out of 5 weekends up at the mountain.

It just became a natural part of my routine:
Monday was work and grocery shopping
Tuesday was work and cheap movie night
Wednesday was work and laundry
Thursday was work, packing, and kayak pool session,
Friday was work and leaving for the mountain
Saturday was snowboarding
Sunday was snowboarding and driving back to Wellington.

The ski area actually is actually located on an active volcano. Throughout the area there are warning signs telling you what you should do in case the siren warning of an eruption or lahar goes off while you are skiing. (Mount Ruapehu last erupted in 1996 and there was a lahar (mudflow) a couple of years ago that just missed one of the lifts.) Since it is an active volcano, the slopes are all wide open and with no trees or vegetation.

The locals have a tough time comprehending what it is like to ski on a mountain with trees. They seem to struggle to grasp the concept that the ski runs are cleared so that you don’t have to ski between the trees (unless you choose to). Apparently, in movies and on TV, people are always shown skiing between the trees.

Rumour has it that I am responsible for introducing a new species to New Zealand and biosecurity might be looking for me. I had a couple of impressive tumbles (according to the people I was boarding with) in one particular location on the mountain, so naturally I blamed it on the snow worms. They are a very elusive, rarely seen organism that likes to make unsuspecting snowboarders and beginning skiers (especially young children) fall over while skiing. None of my ski mates had ever heard of snow worms. They figure that I inadvertently introduced them to New Zealand via contaminated ski gloves and beanies that I brought with me. (As I have learned, touque is a very Canadian term and if you want anyone to understand what you are talking about you must call it a ‘beanie’.)

In amongst the snowboarding, I have also managed to fit in a fair bit of whitewater kayaking. I may lack a dresser, shelves, bedside table, or any furniture in my room beyond a bed, but I now own a kayak. (Acquiring furniture has never struck me as being a top priority for my limited weekend hours.) Once I get a helmet and paddle I’ll be all set.



To allow me to adjust the padding and make the kayak fit, it was in the living room of my flat for about a week. Thankfully one of my flatmates is also kayaker and didn’t complain too much and our other flatmate was out of town for the week. Nothing like sitting in your kayak to watch a movie to determine if the padding is okay.

The sun has disappeared behind a building and its starting to get a bit cold out here, so I think it is time for me to wrap this entry up and go find some dinner.

No comments: