Thursday, July 24

Leaving Denmark

I only have a weekend left in Copenhagen. I don’t know how much internet access I will have during the rest of my trip. My plan is to leave Copenhagen on Monday morning and fly to Oslo where I will spend a few days. I will then get a train over the mountains and along a fjord to Bergen where I will spend 2 nights. I will then catch a ferry north along the coast of Norway to the town of Maloy where I will begin my Sailing Adventure on August 3rd.

I am sailing on a 55m Dutch ship called Eendracht. It is a class A ship (the largest of the tall ships).

The first portion of my time sailing is a Cruise in Company where there will be lots of Tall Ships sailing around the fjords of Norway and in and out of the various ports. Eventually my ship will end up in Bergen for the Tall Ships Festival there. We will then participate in a race against the other Tall Ships. The race is from Bergen to Dan Helder in Holland (1.5 hours north of Amsterdam by train). I finish sailing on August 22nd and will spend 2 nights in Amsterdam before flying home on August 24th.

The Tall Ships website provides daily updates and a ship tracker feature to see where all the boats are. Currently, a race from Liverpool to Måløy is in progress. http://www.sailtraininginternational.org/ then click on the News tab for updates.

The ship tracker is at http://www.tallshipsraces.com/mapping/

I have also found these websites with ship tracking http://www.eendracht.nl/en/news/shiptracker.jx http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=PDVN

No comments: